Iran says it has successfully tested a new ballistic missile despite warnings from Washington that it was ready to ditch a landmark nuclear deal over the issue.
State broadcaster IRIB carried the footage of the test-firing of the Khorramshahr missile, which was displayed at a high-profile military parade in Tehran on September 22.
"This is the third Iranian missile with a range of 2,000 km," the broadcaster said as it showed footage on September 23.
State TV did not say when the test had been conducted, although Iranian officials had said on September 22 that it would be tested "soon.”
The unveiling of the missile came during a military parade that commemorated the 1980s Iraq-Iran war.
The missile can carry multiple warheads, according to the state broadcaster.
Amirali Hajizadeh, the commander of Islamic Revolution Guard Corp, IRGC, aerospace forces has claimed that the missile can carry a warhead of up to 1,800 kilograms, or approximately 4,000 pounds.
The range of this missile would cover most of the Middle East, including Israel.
The Tasnim news agency close to IRGC has labelled the missile "Israel's nightmare".
Iranian President Hassan Rohani said during the parade that Tehran will continue its missile program and boost the country's military capacities, despite U.S. President Donald Trump's demand that Iran stop developing "dangerous missiles."
In the past, Rouhani had criticized IRGC's underground missile bases and its missile taunting of Israel. But after the presidential election, especially since July he has changed his tone, vicing support for the missile program.
Washington has imposed unilateral sanctions against Iran, saying Tehran's ballistic missile tests violated a UN resolution that endorsed the nuclear deal and called on Tehran not to undertake activities related to ballistic missiles capable of delivering nuclear weapons.
Tehran insists its missile program doesn’t the resolution, saying the missiles are not designed to carry nuclear weapons.
Based on reporting by Reuters, AFP, dpa