Iran’s foreign minister says Tehran needs “no mediator” for negotiating with the U.S., but the prerequisite for a dialogue is for Washington to abide by the 2015 nuclear agreement.
In an interview with Arabic speaking Iranian TV, al-Alam, on Friday, May 31, Mohammad Javad Zarif reiterated, "We have already said that we do not need a mediator," adding, "America has started an economic war against our people...this should stop. Whenever (Washington's) policy changed, then, the atmosphere will also change."
Furthermore, Zarif accused Washington of "show off” by pretending that it is ready for talks with Iran.
Echoing his comments, a senior advisor to Zarif, Behzad Saberi Ansari, has also told al-Alam TV, "There is no sign of U.S. goodwill or readiness to move toward reducing tensions, adding that Washington only pretends with "some theatrics" to be seeking negotiations.
Earlier on May 29, President Hassan Rouhani had also asserted that should Washington cancel its sanctions on Tehran, the road toward negotiations between the two sides will be paved.
Nonetheless, on the same day, the Islamic Republic Supreme Leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, "absolutely rejected" any talks between the two, let alone negotiating about the issues that involve Iran's "honor."
However, the spokesman of Iran's Supreme National Security Council (SNSC), Kayvan Khosravi, has already confirmed that several delegations from different countries visited Iran to relay "Washington's message."
In one of his latest comments on Tehran, President Donald Trump said on May 30, that the U.S. would "certainly negotiate" with Iran if Tehran made a move.
In a tweet on May 20, President Trump had noted, "Iran will call us if and when they are ever ready. In the meantime, their economy continues to collapse - very sad for the Iranian people!"