The unresolved mystery of attacks on four oil tankers off the cost of the United Arab Emirates is on the UN Security Council agenda on Thursday, June 6.
In addition to UAE, Saudi Arabia and Norway whose ships were damaged in the May 12 attack near the port of Fujairah will present evidence to the UN body.
Although no hard evidence has been made public, but the United States and Saudi Arabia have accused Iran of being behind the attack. U.S. National Security Advisor John Bolton has said Iranian mines were likely used in the “sabotage”.
"There's no doubt in anybody's mind in Washington who's responsible for this," Bolton said last week during a visit to Abu Dhabi.
U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has also blamed Iran, saying that Tehran organized the attack to push world oil prices higher.
Bolton has indicated that he would be prepared to himself present evidence to the UN council of Iran's involvement in the tankers' attack, but there has been no US request for a meeting.
Iran has denied involvement and has accused Gulf Arab states and Israel for trying to put the blame on Tehran.
Tensions flared in the Persian Gulf region, after the U.S. announced at the end of April it will not renew exemptions it had offered to some of Iran’s major oil customers to continue buying oil. The U.S. imposed oil sanctions on Iran last November.