Director General of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Rafael Grossi and Head of Iran's Atomic Energy Agency Ali-Akbar Salehi announced in a joint statement on Wednesday that Iran will "voluntarily" provide the international atomic watchdog with access to two locations suspected of historical nuclear activity.
"Iran and the IAEA reached an agreement on the resolution of the safeguards implementation issues specified by the IAEA, in good faith," Grossi and Salehi said in the statement, adding that dates for the IAEA access and the verification activities have both been established.
One of the two suspected sites where undeclared nuclear activities may have taken place in the early 2000 is located near Shahreza in Esfahan Province, and the other, a factory near the village of Turquzabad, is south of Tehran. Both sites were demolished in 2003 and 2004, possibly to eliminate traces of enriched uranium.
Iran says the allegations of undeclared nuclear activity were based on evidence "fabricated" by Israeli agents.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu alleged in 2018 that Iran had a "secret atomic warehouse" at Turquzabad that once housed 15 kilograms (roughly 33 pounds) of unspecified radioactive material, and urged the IAEA to visit the site immediately.
Iran previously engaged in a months-long standoff with the IAEA over providing access to the two sites since July, with Grossi warning Iran of "bad" consequences if the country did not grant IAEA access to the two sites by the end of July.
In a June report, the IAEA said Iran had not provided access to the two sites for four months. Subsequently, on June 19, the IAEA passed a resolution proposed by the European sides of the 2015 nuclear agreement known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) against Iran, the first IAEA resolution against Iran since 2012.