At least 19 people have been killed and 57 wounded in a suicide attack in eastern Afghan province of Nangarhar, the governor’s office told RFE/RL’s Radio Free Afghanistan.
Some media reports said the death toll in the September 11 attack surpassed 20, and provoncial council member Sohrab Qaderi said at least 45 dead and wounded had been taken to local hospitals.
Reuters cited officials say saying that at least 22 people were killed, and AP put the death toll at more than 20.
Local officials said the attack targeted a gathering to protest against a local police commander, and that hundreds of people were present when a suicide attacker detonated explosives.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack, which came hours after a double bombing in front of a girls' school in Jalalabad killed a boy and wounded four other people.
Jalalabad has been in recent months the scene of multiple suicide bombings and attacks that have killed dozens of people. Both the Taliban and the extremist group Islamic State are active in the area.
At Least 19 Killed, 57 Wounded In Suicide Attack In Eastern Afghanistan