Four Arab states expressed anger over Qatar’s “negative” response to their 13-point list of demands, but they did not immediately impose further sanctions over the small Gulf nation’s alleged ties to international terrorism.
Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Bahrain, and Egypt on July 5 said Qatar’s response to their demands was “not serious” and “lacked any content.”
“We find it did not provide a basis for Qatar to retreat from its policies," Egyptian Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry read in a joint statement after a meeting of the four countries' foreign ministers.
He did not say what the ministers’ next step would be, but said they will meet sometime in Bahrain next week.
The four countries last month broke diplomatic and travel ties with Qatar over the emirate's alleged support for Islamist extremists and its ties to regional rival Iran.
The countries set a list of 13 demands and threatened further sanctions Qatar it did not act.
Among the demands were calls to end financial support for terrorism, shutter the Al-Jazeera network, cut most ties with Iran, and close Turkey's air base.
The Qataris, who have denied the allegations, accused the four countries of "clear aggression," saying the accusations "were clearly designed to create anti-Qatar sentiment in the West."
Meanwhile, the United Nations announced that UN political chief Jeffrey Feltman was to travel the Persian Gulf to discuss how the international organization might help solve the dispute.
Based on reporting by Reuters and AP